Monday, February 20, 2012

First Post

For my very first blog post, I thought I should take a moment to explain the name "A gwan back yard".  Anyone that knows me, knows I am insanely proud of my Jamaican heritage.  "A gwan back yard" is patois for going home, or more abstractly (for my purposes) discovering and getting back to one's roots.  Like most Gen-Xers, I'm on a perpetual journey of self-discovery, but more personally I feel the need to get back to basics.

All the strongest, smartest, ideal women that I know are in my family and Jamaican, whether they were born on the island or not.  My mother is the paragon of patience.  There's no stopping my Aunt Julie when she's got a goal in mind.  And my late grandmother was so incredibly strong, eloquent and intelligent.  I'm taking pages out of their books and moving forward on a new foot.

Speaking of roots, I've also started a hair journey, from relaxed to natural.  It's been interesting so far and I can't wait to see what all I learn as I progress...about my hair and about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment