Thursday, August 13, 2015

How I Learned to Love My Shrinkage

"Shrinkage is real"  I've posted a few IG pics with this caption.  It's a statement of fact.  My hair shrinks.  Natural black hair shrinks...but shrinkage isn't a bad thing.  A lot of naturalistas (and natural brothas) would disagree with me.  Me from 2 years ago would disagree with me.  I had to do a lot of soul searching and questioning before I got to where I am.  Here's how it went...

Question #1:  Why do I hate shrinkage?
Answer #1:  Because it hides the true length of my hair.

Question #2: Hides it from whom?
Answer #2: Well...everyone!

Question #3: Why do you care how long other people think your hair is?
Answer #3: *Blushing*  I don't?  I shouldn't anyway.

Question #4:  What does long hair indicate?
Answer #4: Beauty, femininity, health

Question #5:  Isn't your face beautiful?  What's more feminine than your curves?  How is shrinkage unhealthy?
Answer #5:  My husband seems to find my face beautiful and I do have some womanly curves.  And shrinkage...well shrinkage actually shows how healthy my hair is.  If it didn't shrink I would know my hair was damaged.

Question #6:  Why do you hate shrinkage?
Answer #6:  I don't.  I love my shrinkage.

Can you love your shrinkage, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment