Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Natural/Corporate Image

Going natural (big chop or transitioning from relaxed) in a corporate environment probably isn't as big a deal now as it used to be, but it's still a challenge.

In college I considered locks, but knew my goal was to work in a corporate office.  I decided not to create any additional barriers to that goal.  I didn't lock up, I didn't get any tattoos (also cuz i'm a scaredy cat) and I only have two earring holes in each ear.  For the last ten years my corporate style has been very sleek and proper, even when my office decided to change from business casual to just casual.  I've slowly gotten used to wearing jeans and sneakers to work and even the occasional t-shirt (always either plain or with company logo).  But my hair....

As I'm transitioning from relaxed to natural hair, I've found that I have to re-adjust my view of what's appropriate "work hair".  I did a braid-out one morning that was awesome!  It was wavy and big and fierce and...definitely "club hair".  I sadly pulled it back into something I thought was more appropriate for work.  Today I'd probably wear it.  I'm becoming more confident...not so much in my hair, as my ability to rock whatever it wants to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment