Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sugar, Salt and Fat

In my quest to get back to basics, I’ve been changing my diet.  The goal is to eat clean, fresh, simple, one ingredient, unprocessed, unrefined foods.  Result…I’m running out of things to eat.
I don’t have a huge amount of time to devote to cooking.  I work and I’ve got a husband and two kids.  It’s not possible to make everything from scratch using fresh organic ingredients…neither my schedule nor my budget will allow for that.  So we have canned, packaged, frozen and otherwise convenience items in the kitchen.  I try to use them sparingly and yet…
Here’s the thing: sugar, salt and fat are the things that make food taste good.  Whenever I cut back on one or two, I find myself elbow deep in the other.  I’ve radically reduced my sugar and fat intake in order to keep to a low calorie diet, so my daily sodium is generally twice what it ought to be.  Besides being bad for my cardiovascular health, it makes me retain water, so it’s hard to see the progress I’ve made.  I’m puffy!
I’m trying to figure out how to work this new challenge out, but it’s difficult.  If anyone has any suggestions, holla at me.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment