Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Dying Art of Conversation

I went to a baby shower the other day at a restaurant and there were a few kids there.  After everyone ordered and we were waiting the adults were all chatting, but the kids were glued to various hand held games (DS, smartphone, my not-so-smart phone).  I looked at my mother and indicating the children said, "This is why conversation is a dying art." 

Conversation, the art of conversing, used to be a taught skill.  In Victorian novels an accomplished woman could sew, paint, play the piano, sing and CONVERSE.  This is of course before smartphones, TVs or even radio.  When adults gathered they relied on each other for entertainment.  One of the things that made men respected, women attractive and children the pride of their parents was the ability to carry on a conversation on a variety of topics and with the proper amount of familiarity, respect, wit and humor.

I've decided to bring this art form back with my sons.  No more passing them my phone whenever they have to wait for more than 10 minutes.  More family dinners around the table.  They will learn to converse (not conversate...major pet peeve) intelligently. 

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment